Skip to main content

tv   KOLO 8 News Now 430PM  ABC  January 14, 2016 4:30pm-5:00pm PST

4:30 pm
the department says the app has been a long time coming... but they everything was perfect before they launched it.### coming our way. and it's expected to make the winds howl tonight. chief meteorologist jeff thompson is here with a first look. wind advisory in effect for the sierra front from 7 pm until 4 am friday... gusts of 55+ mph are possible, with 65+ mph in wind-prone areas. winter weather advisory in effect for the sierra, including the tahoe basin, until 10 am friday. snow totals of 4-8" are
4:31 pm
level, with up to 14+" above 7000'. expect road controls and winter driving conditions through friday morning. a series of storms will continue to move through the region through the middle of next week, with valley showers and wind, and sierra snow in the forecast. the latest system will keep controls on most sierra roads through friday morning, with occasional light to moderate snow. valleys will see gusty wind overnight, with rain and snow showers. little or no accumulation of snow is expected below 5000'. after a brief friday afternoon break, another storm comes in friday night into saturday, with more storms lining up for late sunday through tuesday. -jeff the reno fire department had to deploy its ice rescue team this afternoon to help a man and his dog who fell through the ice at manzanita lake. chainsaw nats :03
4:32 pm
to widen the search for the dog. the pitbull had gotten loose from its owner to chase after some ducks according to university of nevada police. the pitbull fell through the ice ,and the owner chased after falling through the ice himself. the owner managed to pull himself out and was treated at the lake. the dog unfortunately did not make it and was recovered by r-f-d. ### chip kelly is the 20th head coach for the 49ers franchise. c-e-o jed york announced the move on twitter and so did the team. kelly replaces jim tomsula who fired after one season. kelly himself was fired by the eagles after three seasons. he won 26 games during that span.### a man is in italian custody for the murder of ashley olsen. the suspect is a 27- year-old man from senegal who olsen brought home from a nearby bar. the prosecutor in florence says there is very serious evidence of his guilt. marci gonzalez has the latest in the case.
4:33 pm
they now know who killed american ashley olsen ... in her apartment in florence .. arresting a suspect and revealing what they believe led to the 35- year-old's violent death. brad garrett, abc news consultant: this case is rich in evidence, between dna, probably fingerprints, surveillance cameras, and i think witnesses. prosecutors saying early friday morning, olsen left the florence nightclub pictured here from dailymail.com, with a man she met .. a senagalese immigrant .. they claim had been in italy illegally for a few a few months, and was known to police for suspected drug-related activities. investigators claim both olsen and the man were intoxicated on alcohol and possibly drugs, walking to olsen's studio apartment where prosecutors claim they had consensual sex ... but investigators believe - when olsen asked the man to leave ...there was a fight. according to italian media - the suspect then pushed olsen, and she hit her head, fracturing
4:34 pm
on saturday, her body was found naked on the floor, with bruises and scratches on her neck. the official cause of death: strangulation by a cord or chain. brad garrett: a very unsophisticated guy in terms of crime is concerned. investigators saying they found the suspect's dna on a condom and cigarette in the toilet. they claim he also took her cell phone, which helped police track him down. there are reports that the suspect claims he didn't intend to kill olsen. he's now in police custody, charged with aggravated homicide. marci gonzalez, abc news, new york. it's the biggest award for filmmakers. we now know who is up for an oscar, and who was slighted by the academy. "i think it's awesome. i think it's incredible. " and, there are three winners. where are they... and what this means for the locations that sold the historic powerball tickets. "you're watching kolo 8 news now at 4:30 with sarah johns and weather with meteorologist jeff thompson this is kolo 8 news now at 4:30."
tv-commercial
4:35 pm
reached record levels
4:36 pm
without a winner. now there are three of them: in florida, tennessee, and chino hills, california, which is where lauren lyster brings us the story. last night it was a party, today it was a million dollar payday, for a store owner who didn't win the lottery... but sold a winning ticket even without a winner coming forward, it's chino hills 7-11 since news came last night the los angeles area store -sold a winning powerball ticket in the nearly 1.6 billion dollar
4:37 pm
has a year to come forward. talk to us. we're here to help you. we want to help you start this wonderful journey. winning a big cash prize should never ever be a nightmare. two other jackpot winning tickets were sold, one at a melbourne beach florida publix grocery store. dwane stevens, publix supermarkets: we were informed this morning about 5:30 that this location sold the winning ticket. i think it's awesome. i think it's incredible. and one sold in munford tennessee-- a city of just 6,000. millions of other powerball players today, learning to accept that they need no such help in managing a new fortune. disappointment. i tried, i tried... and if you caught powerball fever and still can't shake it - you can still play... the next drawing is saturday - but officials estimate the jackpot will be back to a mere $40 million bucks. lauren lyster, abc news, chino hills ca. as lauren just alluded to, giving can be high on lottery winners' lists of things to do.
4:38 pm
rewarding. gary tuchman reports. violet and allen large retired to nova scotia in 1983... after 27 years of retirement, they won canada's atlantic lottery...receiving a check for over 11 million canadian dollars... violet large, lottery winner: "we're country hicks, we're not travelers. so why keep the money and give it to the government?" instead they gave it to others. almost all it went to more than 60 public organizations ... huge donations ... to places such as hospitals and fire stations. violet large, lottery winner: "we havent bought one thing. there's nothing we need." gloria mackenzie won a huge powerball jackpot in 2013 at the age of 84--after moving from maine to florida she cleared 278 million dollars after taxes ... and did not forget her hometown of east millinocket, maine. she donated 1.8 million
4:39 pm
likely to be closed because of a leaky roof. quenten clark, superintendent of schools at msad: "without that, the school was going to die. east millinocket was not going to have a school in the long run, and with this, we'll be able to keep this school going for a while." "winners, here are the winners!" and then there are the albany 7...seven new york state workers who split a 319 million jackpot in 2011 in the mega millions lottery. this man john kutey and his wife decided to give back to their community too. they donated 200,000 dollars to construct a spray park in their town of green island, new york. they did it in honor of their parents. another very generous canadian is tom crist. the alberta native won 40 million dollars in 2013 and his first donation was 1.2 million dollars to the tom baker cancer center in calgary. his wife janice had died of cancer a year before. he vowed all his winnings would
4:40 pm
voice of tom crist, lottery winner: "i know where that money is going. im not keeping a dime of it. she'd be 100 percent behind it. that's who she was. she was very giving. she made me a better person. she'd be ecstatic." back in novia scotia, where the large's gave away virtually all of their jackpot, some emergency money was kept for violet .. because she was diagnosed with caner. "we'll get through it, one way or another, god willing." sadly, his wife passed away a year after the couple won the lottery... her name will live on though...because of their remarkable generosity. gary tuchman, cnn, atlanta. it's the biggest night for hollywood. of course, the oscars. we now know who is up for the coveted award. so what kind of weather can we expect
4:41 pm
rest of the week? we will have a closer look at our forecast...and what you can expect in the days to come...right after the break. for news while you're on the go, listen to our newscast partner, news-talk 780, koh. it's time to start making
4:42 pm
kosome plans as we get closer to the weekend. kolo 8 news now's rebecca kitchen has your 8 things to do. good morning dave and amanda... we are still about 6 months away from the rodeo.. but if you need to get your fix of cowboys and bulls we have your answer. it's man versus beast...the professional bull riders are back for two hours of non stop intense bull riding. that's going on saturday at lawlor events center starting at 7. the reno bighorns are taking on oklahoma city blue you can catch them sunday and monday at the reno events center... tip off is at 7 both nights. bundle up and head down to the riverwalk for this month's wine walk.... it begins at 2 saturday afternoon. a portion of the proceeds will help to benefit safe embrace. if you want to stay in this weekend... 13 hours: the secret soldiers of
4:43 pm
theaters. starring john krasinski... you can catch it in local thearters starting tonight at 7. ?looking to laugh? comedian quinn dale from comedy central and the tonight show is heading to the pioneer underground. you can catch him tonight through saturday... showtimes vary. jersey shore fans can get excited for dj pauly d. he will be at lex in the grand sierra resort tomorrow nights starting at 10 if you're a fan of country and the tv show nashville... make sure to get your tickets for the stars of nashville... charles esten and chris carmacck will perform top hits from the hit show along with some of their own work... thats saturday night at the silver legacy resort... starting at 8. and finally comedian martin lawrence will also be at the silver legacy. you can catch his standup show tomorrow at 8. the stars were up early this morning to catch the academy award nominations.
4:44 pm
revenant and mad max fury road. jeremy roth takes a look. could this be the year leonardo di caprio walks away with an oscar? "leonardo dicaprio the revenant" his movie "the revenant" got 12 oscar nominations this morning... including a best actor nod. dicaprio has yet to win an oscar, despite four other nominations. mad max fury road is up for 10-oscars including best director, production design, and best picture. speaking of best picture, the nominees in that category also include the big short, bridge of spies, brooklyn, the revenant, room, spotlight and the martian. the star of that movie, matt damon is up for best actor, his fourth nomination. aside from dicaprio, he's up against bryan cranston, michael fassbender and eddie redmayne in that category. the film "carol" got nominations for both best actress... cate blanchett... and best supporting actress rooney mara. jennifer lawrence is up
4:45 pm
nomination... she won it in 2013. in addition to cate blanchett, she's up against brie larson, charlotte rampling and saoirse ronan. one of the biggest movies in history came away with 5 nominations. star wars the force awakens is nominated for best editing, sound, visual effects, and that classic john williams score. you can see who will take home an oscar when chris rock hosts the 88-th annual academy awards on sunday, february 28-th. i'm jeremy roth reporting. you can watch the academy awards right here on kolo 8 news now next month.### gusty winds are expected in the next few hours. what will this incoming storm bring to the valley floor? or snow? we head over to chief meteorologist jeff thompson with our forecast. wind advisory in effect for the sierra front from 7 pm until 4 am friday... gusts of 55+ mph are possible, with 65+ mph in wind-prone areas. winter weather advisory in effect for the sierra, including the tahoe basin, until 10 am friday. snow totals of 4-8" are possible in truckee and at lake level, with up to 14+" above 7000'. expect road controls
4:46 pm
a series of storms will continue to move through the region through the middle of next week, with valley showers and wind, and sierra snow in the forecast. the latest system will keep controls on most sierra roads through friday morning, with occasional light to moderate snow. valleys will see gusty wind overnight, with rain and snow showers. little or no accumulation of snow is expected below 5000'. after a brief friday afternoon break, another storm comes in friday night into saturday, with more storms lining up for late sunday through tuesday. -jeff tonight: a slight chance of rain and snow before 10pm, then rain likely between 10pm and 4am, then scattered rain and snow after 4am. cloudy, with a low around 34. breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. chance of precipitation is 60%. little or no snow accumulation expected. friday: scattered rain and snow showers before 7 am. mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon. chance of precipitation is 40%. little or no snow accumulation expected. friday night: a chance of rain and snow after 10 pm. cloudy, with a low around 35. south wind around 5 mph becoming west after midnight. chance of precipitation is 30%. little or no snow accumulation expected. saturday: rain likely, mainly after 10 am. mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. breezy, with a southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. winds could gust as high as 30 mph. chance of precipitation is 60%. saturday night: mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. breezy. sunday: a 20 percent chance of rain after 10 am. mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. sunday night: a chance of rain. cloudy, with a low around 36. m.l.king day: a chance of rain. cloudy, with a high near 47. monday night: rain. mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. tuesday: rain likely. mostly cloudy, with a high near 46. tuesday night: a chance of rain and snow. mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.
4:47 pm
rain and snow. partly sunny, with a high near 42. jeff, thanks. it's a video that's gone viral. a 101-year-old man, shoveling snow for his neighbor. why helping others is one of his tricks to living a long life.
4:48 pm
what's coming up in next hour. we're working on several new and updated stories coming up on kolo 8 news now at 5. the navy is giving our state's capitol a special honor. and, we're only days away from the ceremony in the gulf coast. one of our lawmakers-- is calling this a once-in-a lifetime opprotunity. it was a race against the clock for the reno fire department to help a man and his dog who had fallen through the ice at manzanita lake. coming up tonight on kolo 8 news now at 5 o'clock we'll have the latest information on this story. rocco is on the verge of breaking the world record for largest dog. coming up at 5 o'clock we're going to show this big guy off--- but his little quirks are bound to put a smile on your face. a twin cities great- grandfather is getting a lot of attention for a video showing him kate raddatz has more. st. paul resident richard mann doing something." the 101-year-old has about work ethic over his long life.. i was the only boy, and it was
4:49 pm
after his father died when he was four, he took care of work around the house to help his single mom. snow shoveling was one of his duties. we always had two or three or five feet of snow for two weeks at a time." the job never got him much attention until now, nearly a century later. a video showing mann shoveling his neighbor's snow has gone viral. his neighbor is overheard in the video summing the situation up perfectly. mann's neighbor: this is an inspiration to a lot of people to get up, get out and get something" a video of him shoveling snow has gone viral. richard's daughter showed him the video yesterday. 138,000 have seen it. that's a big number -that's getting up there. wish i could collect a dollar for each one. mann says he was just doing his neighbor a favor and not expecting anything in return, as he was taught growing up. i've always been active, doing
4:50 pm
mann is a father, grandfather and great-grandfather. he lost his first wife to cancer, and his second wife to alzheimer's disease. when asked the key to a long life, clean living, and wine, women and money it's that humor, work ethic and kindness. "that's why i think people appreciated seeing the video of him because there are so many things going on that are not, you know, people are not being kind to each other. and kindness is the key to having a successful and good life. 'i've had a quite a life" sarah mann says he still plays golf whenever he gets the chance, and swears by bacon and eggs for breakfast every day.
4:51 pm
tonight: a slight chance of rain and snow before 10pm, then rain likely between 10pm and 4am, then scattered rain and snow after 4am. cloudy, with a low around 34. breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. chance of precipitation is 60%. little or no snow accumulation expected. friday: scattered rain and snow showers before 7 am. mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon. chance of precipitation is 40%. little or no snow accumulation expected. friday night: a chance of rain and snow after 10 pm. cloudy, with a low around 35. south wind around 5 mph becoming precipitation is 30%. little or no snow accumulation expected. saturday: rain likely, mainly after 10 am. mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. breezy, with a southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. winds could gust precipitation is 60%. saturday night: mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. breezy. sunday: a 20 percent chance of rain after 10 am. mostly cloudy,
4:52 pm
now at 5:00." tonight on kolo 8 news now... a live look at interstate 80, while we're being hit by another round of storms. a frantic rescue to save a dog, after if fell through the ice. we're talking with one of the people, who tried to save this animal. plus-- explosion crews clear a massive rockslide in el dorado county. thanks for joining us. i'm sarah johns. i'm noah bond. more wet weather is moving our way. and it looks like more storms will follow. chief meteorologist jeff thompson has a look at the forecast. jeff wind advisory in effect for the sierra front from 7 pm until 4 am friday... gusts of 55+ mph are possible, with 65+ mph in wind-prone areas. winter weather advisory in
4:53 pm
the tahoe basin, until 10 am
4:54 pm
4:55 pm
4:56 pm
4:57 pm
4:58 pm
4:59 pm

14 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on